Sunday, August 31, 2014

First impressions

My brother is 7 years older than me and I remember him playing D&D. I liked the sound of it. Elves and swords and adventures, but I was too little. I thought the dice were pretty. I liked the fun shapes. That's my intro to gaming. Elves and pretty things.



Later, I heard a bunch of discussions about D20 v D6 and GURPS and other things that would become as familiar as my dad's Army acronyms, though to be honest I understood them about as much. I didn't give much thought to playing myself though. Too self-conscious about playing make believe in front of an audience, which is some how different than performing, don't ask me why. Also, I didn't like all the rules. I didn't want a pair of dice with who knows how many sides telling me I could or couldn't do all the neat things that I wanted to. I understood the theory of why a game has to have rules, but I didn't want to play with those rules. I just wanted to think my thoughts about being an elf traipsing around in the woods being pretty and leave the dice to someone else.

Then my husband challenged me to let HIM DM a game for me. Just me and another friend totally new to D&D so all my stupid questions would be in good company.

I'd already let him talk me into playing World of Warcraft and wound up really liking that, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Plus, he said I could I could be purple. I'm pretty much a sucker for being purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment