Tuesday, September 9, 2014

I Don't Know Much, But What I Do Is Geeky

Seriously, I really don't know much beyond the "nerds in a comic book shop pretending to be characters similar to those in Middle Earth and taking a game more seriously that most other people would" stereotype. I know there are dice. I know that you CAN dress up, but you don't HAVE to. I thiiiink there are a lot of rules ad people can get pretty heated about various versions of the rules? I connect it with WoW and other video gamey type people, but I imagine that's not the whole story.


I imagine my stereotype is WRONG, or at least only covers a small fragment of this game and the people who play it. That's generally the way it is with stereotypes. I've met people who don't seem to be particularly nerdy in any other way who have played it and enjoyed it. And I've met verrrrry nerdy people who don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. So I;m sure it appeals to a broader audience than I'm picturing and that mainstream media portrays. 

I'm not expecting much more than a good tie with my friends. I'll try anything like this once--I mean, I thought I wouldn't like Settlers of Catan and I did. A lot. So I figure, if the worst happens, I'll have used up an evening on something that I don't enjoy and I've done that before. So far, the character development has already given me tactics and tools to use with my novel writing, even if I don't write science fiction or fantasy--it's given me a framework and tools that I haven't thought about before. I expect it's going to be a lot of fun. We're not going to take ourselves all that seriously, which is exactly what I need right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment